Aleksey Anatolievich Zhukov (Алексей Анатольевич Жуков)
• Church and world leader and conductor in Saint Petersburg.
• Head of the men’s choir and senior professor of the singers’ school of the old Archbishop’s city church in St. Petersburg.
• Visiting Maestro of the men’s choir – state Philharmonic in Vologda.
Mr Zhukov was born in 1969 in Leningrad, in the middle class, workers’ family and attended the choral vocational school within the state Academic chapel M.I. Glinka, as well as the state institute for culture. The period between 1988 and 1989 he spent in the Soviet Army. In 1989 he continued the studies at the Institute for Culture and started to sing in Convocation of Archangel Mihailo in Lomonosov – the first temple of the Leningrad’s eparchy that was opened after decades of communistic atheism. In the period from 1990 until 1992 he was the leader of this Convocation.
As the artist within the chamber choir St. Petersburg, in the period between 1992 and 1995, Zhukov was awarded Grammy prize (1995) for performance and recording of the “All night vigil” by Rachmaninoff (Philips Classics 1994).
From 1995 he was the leader of the male vocal ensemble "Valaam" within the Valaam monastery. During his period of leadership, the ensemble recorded and issued 4 CDs on orthodox singing from different countries – Russian spiritual music, world and national music and made tours of Russia and the Western European countries.
In 2003, Zhukov received diploma “for master performance” at the festival "Branderburgische Sommerkonzerte" (Berlin). In the period between 2005 and 2016, he worked as the artistic manager of the Festive choir of Valaam’s monastery which accompanies patriarchy worship services, but also held concerts in Russia and abroad and recorded 4 CDs of church and world music. He held lectures and master classes of worship service’s singing of the summer school of Academy for orthodox music (St. Petersburg, Novgorod the Great, Valaam Island) in the period between 2009 and 2015.
He is the winner of the following sacral and state awards:
• Award of St. Petersburg Metropolitan Vladimir “For the exceptional efforts and glory of the Holly Church” (2008)
• Medal of the Moscow Patriarchy (2007)
• Medal of the Kazakhstan’s Metropolitan District (2012)
• Medal “Participant of the military interventions in Syria” Assembly of the Russian Federation